TEN FEST 2012 – 11th Annual – 5 days
Wed, May 30 - Sun, Jun 3, 2012
Wed 5/30, 7:30pm
Thu 5/31, 7:30pm
Fri 6/1, 7:30pm
Sat 6/2, 3:00pm
Sat 6/2, 7:30pm
Sun 6/3, 3:00pm
Bedlam’s 11th Annual Community Ten Minute Play Festival
at Mixed Blood Theatre
May 30th-June 3rd
Order your tickets online NOW! (June 3rd at 3:00PM with ASL Interpreting Available)
TENFEST IS BACK! Please join us for this annual extravaganza of creativity from the Twin Cities most creative creators. Selections for this years festival were made through a series of PLAYDATES with professional artists and first time artists and the whole range between. Ideas were proposed, workshops were held, collaborations and mergers were formed and 12 exciting projects are in the works! Subjects include Ballot Amendments, Shampooing, Trayvon Martin, Public Schools, Alabama (The Cat), and…Men. “Play” includes spoken word, comedy, movement theater, dance, drama, you name it – all TEN MINUTES.
1. getting schooled - created by Tom Lloyd & Anton Jones: an intergenerational theatrical investigation into the urban public school landscape. Looking at school from the inside and the outside, from the present and from our past, from the student, from the teacher, from the parent, from the community member, from the etcetera. What are we doing?
2. MISC Amendments: In My Pants, by John Bueche, Harry Waters Jr., Chris Garza and Ensemble. Check your pockets. Polyconsensual group marriages performed nightly, and you can try to vote.
3. Earl and Susan in Neal Medlyn’s Cover of Dynamite is the most recent collaboration of Kristin Van Loon and Arwen Wilder, known together as Hijack. This 10 minute play is a DANCE. It is based on last year’s fashions and yesterday’s news. The shampooing is dry and the shoving is real.
4. Eye of the Beholder conceived by Lelis Brito. Three dances. Three soundscapes. Three visuals. The audience votes on how to assemble them and meaning is born.
5. Man Show [what we want to see] created by Samantha Johns and Paige Collette. This is the plan: an all-male cast with pickle jars. They will pick you up from the airport on time.
6. 2012 The Musical: The Music - Rhiana Yazzie and New Native Theatre’s Actor Ensemble - is a romp through the hoopla over the turn of the Mayan Calendar and projected end of the world through a funny Native lens where Indian Alien ancestors arrive to set things straight. A hit in last years 10x10Fest, The New Native Theatre Actor Ensemble returns to flesh out musical ideas by local composers with a funny bone.
7. Cat and Me, written by Steve Ackerman and directed by Maren Ward, is a clinical study in the common attraction between man and feline, reaching beyond the purely physical to a state of emotional dependency. An unjust world is created, built on fake mice, fake hiccuping, fake love, and really pooping on your neighbor’s lawn.
8. misTAKEN IDENTITY, created by Nicole Smith, is a lyrical work inspired by the tragic death of Trayvon Martin. this piece examines how assumptions based on an article of clothing, have taken the identity of so many by criminalizing an individual due to outward appearance. in essence, their identities have been taken by societal stereotypes, not allowing the individual to be seen for whom they truly are…..
9. STRANGER, created by Tera Kilbride, is an exploration, a world turned inside out, surrounding the STRANGER. Created collaboratively through improvisation, text and dance, everything you’ve known about the STRANGER is unknown.
10. mpls, mpls, my heart’s second love - directed by Justin Spooner - is a continually evolving, weirdly surprising, never stopping 10 minute mess. The goal of this project was to explore unfamiliar ways of creating theatre focused on the notions of play and surprise. Enjoy!
11. Autumn Dreams by Arminta Wilson/A Cool Breeze by Antonio Duke - directed by Anton Jones. Family dynamics, generational differences, secrets and lost loves are revealed from katrina rooftops to family living rooms in two short plays (alternating days).
AND PLEASE JOIN US AT THE NOMAD WORLD PUB FOR AFTER TEN – socializing, music and more PLAY – Friday and Saturday nights after the FEST!